by Jessica Ann Mitchell
Once upon a time, Facebook Fan Page names could not be changed after they reached 100 or more likes. But now Facebook has implemented a new process to help fan page administrators. I recently went through this process when rebranding one of my fan pages.
Here are the steps that I took:
1. Go to your fan page and click on the “admin panel”.
2. Click on “edit page” and select “update page info”.
3. Look for the page name and click on the “edit” button.
4. Select the “request name change” button.
5. Fill out the form and answer questions about why you want to change the name of your fan page. The business and theme of the page must not change, only the name. I stated that I am “rebranding” my website.
6. Wait between 24hrs -48 hrs for a response from Facebook.
Here is the 1st response I received.
We may be able to assist you with this request. In order to update your Page name, please respond to this email with official documentation that shows the name you’ve requested for your Page.Examples of appropriate documentation include: • A utility bill • Your local business license (issued by your city, county, state, etc.) • A tax file for your business • A membership card or certificate to a professional organization or guild
The Page name you’re requesting is significantly different from your current Page name, so your name change request will require a 14-day waiting period. During the waiting period, your Page must remain published. If you want to proceed, please reply to this email to confirm your request to change your Page name.
7. Send the requested documented. I sent receipts from the domain name and hosting providers.
Here is the 2nd response I received.
We require a waiting period for name changes that could be confusing for people who already like the Page. During that time, people who like the Page will be notified of the name change. Here are a few examples of name changes that trigger a waiting period: – Product to brand (ex: Facebook Gifts to Facebook) – Global to local (ex: Facebook to Facebook USA) – Campaign to brand (ex: Facebook Giving to Facebook) Once you confirm, your request can’t be modified or canceled, so please be sure your requested name change is correct. We apologize for any inconvenience.
8. Follow the instructions and confirm your request.
Here is the 3rd and final response I received.
We’ve received your Page name change request, and your change will go into effect in 14 days. During that time, people who like your Page will be notified of the name change.
9. Wait 14 days for the page name process to take place.
10. Your Facebook Fan Page name has officially been changed. Be sure to change your logo and site info to reflect the new change. It’s a long process but it’s worth the wait. Note that Facebook currently does not change fan page urls, only page names. Page names are very important for branding purposes because people can search for your fan page by name and find in Facebook Search and other search engines like Google & Bing.
If you have additional questions, submit them in the comments section.